Create a form or survey
Create a form or survey
First steps : Name your form, label the records and set tags!
In the main menu (left), click " Custom forms". You will access the list of forms.
Click the " +" button to create your form.
This will open the Form creation panel:
- Name your form with a title
- Give your form a description
- Pick or create tags to help group, sort and filter your forms
- Label the records of your form
Note that the "record labels": 1)"singular" and 2) "plural" fields are optional. Filling them will simply refer to your records as what they really are.
For instance, if you name it "Responses", when going to your form you will see the "Responses" tab, or see that you have "83 responses"....instead of the "Records" tab and "83 records".
Once you save, you will be redirected to the form design page.
At first, you will see the panel to rename the first section of your form. (You don't need to edit this right, you can also skip this step and change it later.)
Add and configure fields
You can then "drag-and-drop" various fields, like Number, Text, Date fields, etc. from the left to the right in order to create your survey or form.
For each field, you can enter the label (name) of the field where it says "Field name".
To configure a field, click on the pen icon next to the field's name. This will allow you to:
- Specify if the field is mandatory
- Specify if the field is confidential
- Specify if the field must be used as a unique component
- If it is a list: specify the items in the list or if the user can select multiple items
- It it is a text, specify the maximum length
For more detailed instructions, you can view this video tutorial or read the "Configure fields" article.
Various fields can be added:
|Text||Standard text field. Allows to enter numbers, letters and symbols.|
|Projects||List allowing to select a project (or multiple projects).|
|Activities||List allowing to select an activity (or multiple activities).|
|System and projects lists|| List that already exist as a sytem list or project list as they are used in many projects or used to disaggregate indicators.
(example: Gender, Age groups, etc.)
|Custom forms||List allowing to select a record in another form (or multiple records).|
|Custom options||List allowing to select one or many options. You can edit the available options in the configuration panel.|
|Date||Allows to enter dates in the YY-MM-DD format.|
|Number|| Allows to enter numerical values. Numbers will be formatted with a separator for thousands.
|Unformatted Number|| Allows to enter numerical values that will not be formatted.
This is useful when you want to enter values that would not be used in calculations, like for example a phone number.
|Yes/No||Allows to add a Yes/No or True/False radio button.|
|Location||Allows to select a location.|
|File||Allows to upload a picture or file.|
|Lattitude / Longitude|| Allows to enter coordinates: latitude and longitude.
(longitude must be between -179 and 179, and latitude between -89 and 89.)
|Link||Allows to enter a URL. Please note that URLs must include the "http://"|
Add and edit sections
To add a section:
- Click the "Add a section" button
- Enter the name and description
- Click "Save"
Sections can be re-ordered by "drag-and-drop".
To edit an existing section, click on the pen icon next to the section's name.
Save and publish the form
When editing your form you have 3 options:
- Save: allows you to save the form so you can continue designing it later.
- Save & preview: saves the form and opens the preview so you can see what the form will look like when creating a record.
- Publish: saves the form and allows to add records. (this can only be done if at least 1 field was configured as a "Display field")
For more detailed instructions, you can view the following articles:
Save a form
Preview a form
Publish a form