Numerator/denominator indicators

  1. Description
  2. Disaggregation
  3. Calculations based on numerator/denominator on a disaggregated indicator
  4. Calculating cumulative values over time (dependant)


The numerator/denominator is a type of indicator that allows you to capture ratios as percentages by providing the option of entering the numerator and denominator values. 

The type is selected in the indicator creation or editing panel.

When entering the actual values for this type of indicator, the user will enter the 2 values (numerator and denominator) and LogAlto will calculate the percentage value for the indicator. 


The organization is conducting a training and wants at least 80% of women participants

Indicator % of women trained 
Indicator Type Numerator/Denominator   
Numerator Number of female participants in my training
Denominator Total number of participants

In the Data Entry, when entering actual values for the indicator, the user would need to enter the Numerator (in the example: 88 female participants) and the Denominator (110 overall participants)

The system calculated the percentage automatically from the values entered. In this case we have met the target (80% participants are women).


A numerator/dennominator indicator can be disaggregated. 

The system assumes each disaggregated ratio to represent distinct but related populations.


The organization is conducting a training and wants to track the ratio of women and men trained in a population of beneficiaries.

Indicator % of trained beneficiaries by gender
Indicator Type Numerator/Denominator  
Desagggregation Gender (female/male)
Numerator Number of participants of specfied gender
Denominator Total participants of specified gender in the beneficiary population

On a population of 100, 40 are women and 60 are men. But only 32 women (32/40) and 40 men (40/60) participated to the training.

Once Desegregation option is selected, 3 options would appear as follows: 

The different options are explained below.

Calculations based on numerator/denominator on a disaggregated indicator

There are two calculation methods`

Sum of all numerators / Sum of all denominators 

Proportional sum adds the numerator and denonminators of each disaggregated ratio. 

With the previous example where 32/40 women and 40/60 men participated in a training, if we apply the sum then 72 out of 100 participated.

Fractional Average of all numerators / Common
This calculation method averages the % of the ratios without considering the proportions of each disaggregation.

In effect this averages the % of each ratios, where (80%+66.66%)/2 = 73.33%.


Sum of all numerators / Common denominator  
This method should be used in a progress scenario sum adds the numerator and denominators of each disaggregated ratio. his 

With the previous example where 32/40 women and 40/60 men participated in a training, we had 72 out of 100 who participated. If there were 4 more women and 6 more men who participated, then to added total is 10 spots from the 100 available spots. Thus 10/100. Using this method our total is 82/100, leaving the possibility for 18 more participants, no more.

For a comparison between numerator/denominator indicators and percentage indicators click here.

Calculating cumulative values over time (dependant) 

By default, a numerator/denominator indicator's relationship between progress and cumulative values are set to "independant". This means that the cumulative values between periods are not calculated by the system and are to be entered by the user.

If the relationship is set to dependant, LogAlto will seek the common denominator and calculate the nominator value as follows:

Current numerator progress + Previous numerator cumulative value * Current denominator progress / Previous denominator cumulative value

For example if the numerator for first period is 2/10 (20%) and for second period is 9/20 (45%), the cumulative value will be 13/20 (65%) :